Carbon Fever and Brake Check.

I’ve had my head down in the shop these last couple of weeks. One of the first projects I intended to make out of carbon fiber went on the back burner. I finally got around to making my dash out of carbon fiber, and it weighs in at just over 4 lbs. Later I’ll cut out any openings for gauges, brake bias, and switches. When I make the cuts, I’ll re-sand and clear the the dash, then flock the top portion to eliminate any glare.  DSC02161DSC02160

The next carbon project was the hatch. To be honest, this basic looking part was pretty tricky.fullsizeoutput_58.jpeg

I love these cool little Quik-Latch mini latches, and they are made right here in the USA!DSC02187.JPG

DSC02189.JPG

I went with Aero-Catch latches for the rear. Hood pins have come a log way. DSC02188

DSC02193

I then focused my attention to less itchy projects. My buddy Kyle (@KCKUHNHAUSEN), is finishing up one insane Z. I reached out to him for a very basic aluminum puck for my jack point. A couple day later this master piece showed up! I wasted no time to getting the puck clear anodized.DSC02085

The next step was to drill and tap the jack point.DSC02087

At this point, all I had left was to bolt it on with an ARP stainless 3/8″ bolt.DSC02088

DSC02089

In my last build update, I finished my LED tail lights. I was eager to see what they look like lit up. fullsizeoutput_52

Running lights.fullsizeoutput_53

Brake lights.fullsizeoutput_54

I have been banging my head against the wall with my stainless brake lines. Stainless brake lines are seam welded. In the manufacturing process, they can smooth the exterior weld, but the inside is left with a seam. When I was flaring the tubing, it would leave me with two very small groves on the inside of every flair. I was thinking to myself, “there has to be a way to lap the flair, much like lapping in a valve to a cylinder head”. After searching high and low, I came across this “Koul Tool” specifically for solving this issue.DSC02149

It’s really easy to use. You just insert the flair into the jig, add some WD-40 on the dimondized 37 degree tip, and rotate the knob with pressure until you have a smooth consistent finish. DSC02147

Now that I had a good flair and nice finished surface, I needed to pressure test the lines. Earls Plumbing makes a very nice kit, but it was a little out of the budget. So I decided to piece a kit of my own together for about $8. To pressurize the brake line, I needed to cap one end and add a schrader valve on the other.DSC02142

DSC02145

Next, I added air to the brake line, added water to a mixing cup, submerged each end, and checked for leaks. If you have a leak, it will be very obvious because you will see air bubbles. It’s a good idea to keep an eye on the fitting for about 30 seconds. DSC02146

After I checked all of my hard lines, I installed them on the car for good. I added little plastic caps to ensure debris stays out of them.fullsizeoutput_5c

fullsizeoutput_56

fullsizeoutput_5d

I’m making some serious headway on the car, and it’s a great feeling to install parts for good. I have some really cool features and new sponsors lined up so check back soon and be sure to subscribe/follow. The support has been amazing. Until next time, thanks for the read.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: