Well, that escalated quickly… Part 2.

In my first installment of Well, that escalated quickly… Part 1. , the car went from a powder coated chassis, to a roller with the motor installed overnight. I was able to knock out so many projects that I had to split my post up into 2 parts.

I needed to wrap up my fuel system, so I installed my ATL fuel cell for good. Before I could add the custom hard lines that I fabricated, I needed to install a fuel level sensor and the “duck foot” fuel pick up in the cell. Once I checked that off the list I could install the fuel plate for good and torque the bolts to 40 inch pounds.fullsizeoutput_44.jpeg

It was as simple as connecting the -6AN fuel lines from the fuel cell, to the Bosch 440 fuel pump, then to the GM Performance Corvette fuel pressure regulator/return.DSC02041.JPG

fullsizeoutput_42.jpeg

I wasn’t a huge fan of adding fuel inside the car. Spillage is bound to happen, so I fabricated my own remote filler. I lasered the Tomoe symbol on the cap that will peak thought the hatch. I wear the Tomoe symbol on my skin, so I thought it would be a good way to add some personal character. I’m really happy with the complete fuel package.fullsizeoutput_41.jpeg

Then I moved my attention to the rear of the car. The theme for the rear is a very stealthy look. I started off by refinishing my tail light lenses. The 43 year old lenses just looked tired. The first step was to disassemble the housings.DSC02031.JPG

I sanded the lens down with 320 grit sand paper and shot some PPG clear coat on them. I added a little bit of black tint to the clear for a smoked out look.DSC02032.JPG

As much as I would love to support a company within our Z community for some killer LED taillight boards, it’s just not in the budget. To race Pikes Peak you need to have brake and running lights. I picked up some 8″ LED tail light strips that are intended for motorcycles. The tail light housings were also pretty beat, so I bonded some lexan plates to the taillights for the LED lights to sit flat on. A quick shot of satin black paint and they look good as new. Next I mounted the LED’s and wired them up.DSC02050.JPG

Then it was time to assemble the taillights. My good buddy Kyle @KCKuhnhausen, sent me a set of machined trimmed pieces for the tail lights. I gave them a slight grain on their faces, and had them clear anodized. It turned out to be a great finishing touch.DSC02052DSC02055.JPG

I wanted unique and functional tail light trim panels, so I had Ben from Skillard laser out some aluminum mesh panels I designed. Once I cleaned them up with a file, they were off to powder coating.DSC02035.JPG

I wasted no time installing the taillights and bezels. I absolutely love the look. Paying homage to the 240Z lines, but in my own way. To elevate pressure in the cab, the center section is breathable to eliminate the parachute effect and will also add downforce. I have a full version if I want to seal off the interior. DSC02064.JPGDSC02062.JPG

Speaking of paying homage, I riveted the original door tag back to the car. Almost everything on the car is in perfect condition. I kind of like how the door tag has some character. DSC02066.JPG

Guys, things are moving VERY fast with the build. I have a handful of new partners on board, and can’t wait for a proper introduction.  I hope you show them some support!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: