POWER!!!! Part 3 (odds and ends)

Yeah yeah… I know the title isn’t very original. In my last post about my engine build, POWER!!!! Part 2 , I had my good friends Rich and Ash over to lend me a hand on the build. I basically ran out of parts, then made a list of loose ends and headed to my favorite place to make an order: Summit Racing.

Once I installed the spark plugs and wires, I noticed I had good header-to-plug wire clearance. I wanted to ensure I wouldn’t have any issues, so I slipped over some titanium coated fire sleeves for good measure.DSC01809

The OEM dipstick wasn’t going to play well with the header and valve cover. I could have made the OEM dipstick work, but this gave me an “opportunity” to run a billet aluminum Lokar set up. It was probably the easiest part I’ve installed, with the most instant gratification. Fancy huh?DSC01896.JPG

Over the period of 2017, I collected and ordered a ton of parts for the LS motor. If you know me well, I’m damn good at ordering correct parts. I did have a little mix up though. Apparently the CSR billet thermostat housing I ordered, requires an old school type thermostat. In goes the correct unit. I guess I’ll have the shelf the Lingenfelter thermostat, too bad because I was excited to say I had a Lingenfelter part.DSC01811

No need for a heater in the Z. They make a trick little u-bend to re-route the fluid so you bypass the heater core. The trick part is one side of the hose is 5/8″ and the other is 3/4″DSC01893.JPG

The OEM steam vent set up isn’t much for the eyes. I wanted to make sure my steam vent set up was bullet proof and looked the part. I was also feeling pretty confident about my brake line set up. This is basically the same process. So out came the flair tool, tube bender, and tube straightener. I went for the Earls Plumbing billet LS steam vent adapters. Man do they look good!DSC01774.JPGfullsizeoutput_17

DSC01797

The oil pressure, water temp, knock, cam position, and crank position sensors looked original. It’s just not worth the chance. So in goes all new sensors. In it’s previous life, someone installed an old coolant sensor to plug the head. It “worked”, but I ordered up a proper Vibrant Performance plug.DSC01897

DSC01806

DSC01804

I scored a killer deal on my CTS-V accessory drive set up. It was a demo model at a dealership and they knocked $250 off. The kit ended up missing 3 bolts. I’ll take $15 in hardware to save $250 any day of the week. I was now able to install the belt tensioner and belt. I’m really happy with how compact the motor is compared to the truck accessory drive set up.DSC01892

To accommodate the steering shaft, I need to run the header close to the block. By doing this, I am not able to run an oil cooler adaptor at the OEM location. I decided to block it off and run a “sandwich” style oil cooler adaptor by Canton Racing.DSC01903.JPG

I scored a killer deal on a fabricated intake manifold. I then installed my new LS3 (throttle by wire) throttle body. This is like the icing on the cake.DSC01899.JPG

This little motor is starting to look the part. I’ve learned quite a bit along the way. So what’s left? I need to replace the o-rings on my LS3 injectors, add a fuel pressure gauge,  map sensor, hose clamps, swap out some hardware, and I think were good to go.DSC01901.JPG

Until next time, thanks for the read!

-Shawn

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: