I knew building a car from scratch was going to be a major grind. I dedicate about an hour every night, and a good portion of my weekend, to the Z build. At times, I feel as if I’m almost a slave to the car. I’ve spent so much time and money on the car, and I HAVE to keep pushing if I want to get the car to Pikes Peak next year. As I’m typing this, my Instagram feed is blowing up with photos and videos of teams making their way up the mountain. It’s very inspiring, and I have to charge on.
Iv been holding off on the door bars for quite some time. You can imagine, once they are welded to the chassis, it makes it difficult to work on the interior area of the car. It’s definitely nice to know that I’m far enough along that they need to be made.
For the passenger side, I went with a simple “X” design that ties into the “FIA” bar. It’s very strong and commonly used in racing. The only down side is that this set up is not the best for side impacts. I won’t be racing wheel to wheel, and I’ll rarely have a passenger.
The drivers side is a different story. The 240Z is a VERY small car. Toss in a FIA spec cage, and it gets a whole lot tighter. There is some debate over a “Nascar” style door bar verses a “X” style. I weighed my options, and went with the X on the passengers and Nascar style on the drivers. I personally feel like the extra room and side impact protection the Nascar style provides is well worth it.
I’ve been working on a few projects with my LS motor. One of the projects checked off the list is my valve covers. I purchased some plain Jane fabricated valve covers off eBay. I welded stand offs on top of the covers to mount the coils. Then I powder coated the covers wrinkle black. The end result is very clean.
I still have the hammer down on what’s left of the original 72 240Z body. I can really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately, a lot of hard work went into repairs and fixing structural areas no one will ever see, but that’s part of it.
I started working on the dash. I wanted a recognizable 240z shape, with everything smoothed out. Smoothing it out creates a clean look, and adds more room for switches and gauges (and you know you can’t have enough switches and gauges). I made some cardboard templates and then transferred it to a laser cut plywood version.
Next, I permanently attached the metal rear trim to the dash. I started adding body filler to blend the dash together. The dash is 45 years old, and as you can imagine, it was pretty whopped. I decided to coat the entire dash with body filler to ensure the dash was completely smooth. I think it looks pretty cool as is, but the next step is to make a fiber glass mould and build a carbon fiber dash from the mould.
The last little project I finished up was access panels in the wiper cowl area. Once the car is on the ground, and the body is welded to the chassis, it will be very hard to access the bolts for the door hinges and the rear of the pedals. I quickly fabricated some aluminum panels and added riv-nuts to the body for quick and secure access to some hard to reach areas.
I started checking some big projects off the list. In my next post I’ll also go over my recent distraction from the Z (it’s a good one). Thanks for the read.