I’ve been busy lately. Juggling life, work, and the car are difficult to do. Unfortunately the car comes last. A couple of weeks ago I saw that I had a weekend coming up that I could really hammer down on the car. My March “to do” list involved a lot of sheet metal work on the interior of the car, and I was running out of days left in the month. I started off with the rear wheel tubs and shock tower enclosures. These were tricky to fabricate, as I built them from scratch.
The real challenge was getting the drivers and passenger sides to match perfectly. Everything is held together with clecos (temporary spring loaded rivets). Once I get into final assembly, I’ll weld all of the sheet metal into place.
Building the wheel tubs and shock enclosures was a major check off the to do list. The next project was to fabricate a transmission tunnel. This was pretty straight forward. I got started by shaping the sheet metal for the top of the tunnel and suspending it where I wanted it to go.
Next I made a cardboard template and started boxing the tunnel in with sheet metal. Once again, my trusty sheet metal brake came in handy.
I wanted to make the rear of the transmission and drive shaft accessible from the interior. The front portion of the tunnel will be welded to the chassis, and the rear section will be removable. I added a lip to ensure that the two parts sat flush on one another. Later I will install riv-nuts to attach the two.
You would typically make a bunch of spot welds, use seam sealer to close up the gaps, and seal up the panels. However, I wanted a much cleaner and smoother finish, so I fully welded and blended all of the welded seams. I’m glad I took this extra step.
I’ve been looking for a shifter boot that would look great, and have functionality in the car. I ran across this Joes Racing Products boot. The boot is fire retardant (SFI rated), and it’s super easy to remove as it snaps on to it’s aluminum base. I also whipped up this carbon fiber shifter and billet aluminum cap. You’re going to see a lot more carbon fiber in the future. It’s kind of my thing…
In my last blog post, I shared with you guys a few tools that make sheet metal work a lot easier for me, but I forgot one. It’s cheap, doesn’t make a mess, and is quick. A fabricators dream. Pick yourself up some electric sheet metal shears.
That’s all I have for right now. With the exception of the firewall, all of the interior sheet metal is pretty much finished, besides final welding. On the next post I start my “exhaust” or what little of an exhaust I will have and a few other odds and ends. Thanks again for the read. I’d like to know where your reading from. Feel free to post a comment and let me know what country you live in! Thanks for the support!